Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rockin', Dancin' and Sweatin' Up the Joint!

Welcome back to another week of FTL updates! Can you believe we're, like, six weeks to opening night?? Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!! Well, the past week has seen yours truly, the music director, start to assemble the band for the show, and I'm happy to announce that FTL will feature a six-piece rock band (as much as the show comprises a whole melange of styles. What an awesome word. Melange. Sounds like a dessert. But I digress).

When we staged this show in Australia in 2005, I'd included a string quartet as part of the orchestrations, but this time around, I'm aiming for a much edgier sound. Which isn't to say that it won't be refined - or that there won't be any strings or brass! Oh no, you'll still be getting the orchestra effect... even though the band will consist of two keyboards, drums, bass guitar, and two rockin' guitars, heh!!

Last Friday I had a jam session with the guitarists and drummer. Check out this little video clip of me (unseen but definitely heard) trying out a snippet of one of the songs with the guys. The audio might not sound too dynamic in the clip due to the limitations of the video camera mic, but believe me, in the studio, with the amps and acoustics, we were rockin' up the joint!! So now I'm really excited about what we're going to sound like when we add the bass and keyboards. Awesome!!!



Tonight (Monday) I joined director Colin, choreographer Judi and the cast for (an almost) full-company dance rehearsal. It was very interesting and heartening to see the amount of hard work that the cast are putting into the movement, and I'm looking forward to showtime when they're able to show off all that they've literally perspired buckets learning! Here's another video clip, this time of the cast attempting to put together the dance routine that closes the first half of the show. It's still rough around the edges (and in case you're wondering, that's a demo recording from the show that they're dancing and singing along to), but I think we're gradually putting it together... ;)



Further updates to come, including cast bios and a sneak preview of our poster! Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment